How to Find Your "Just Right" Book
- Do you want a fiction or nonfiction book?
- If you want a fiction book, do you want…
- a picture book?
- an easy-to-read book?
- a chapter book?
- If you want a nonfiction book, what subject interests you?
- Does the book look exciting to you?
- Is the book too easy or too hard?
The Fiver Finger Test
- Open the book to the middle. Select a full page of text.
- Read the page.
- Put one finger up for every word you can't pronounce or don't know.
- If you get five fingers up on a page, the book is too difficult to read independently.
- If you do not get any fingers up, but are reading slowly and decoding most words, you will most likely not enjoy the book.
The Top 10 Ways to Find a Great Book
- It was recommended by a friend.
- The first sentence caught your attention. The first paragraph or page grabs your interest.
- The title catches your attention.
- The cover persuades you to open the book.
- You saw a display.
- You have read other books on that topic.
- The summary on the inside jacket or on the back is interesting.
- You have read other books by that author.
- You like the series.
- There's a movie based on it.